Thursday, August 26, 2010

Finished some projects!

While looking for some card ideas one day I came across this tote bag made with purchased clear vinyl and Stampin' Up! Designer Series Paper (Erin Blair on Stampin' Connection). Since I have so much of the paper in my stash and some large designs that I'm slow to cut into smaller pieces... I decided I had to make one. As if I didn't bring enough projects along to Florida!


It's hard to get good pictures with the shiny vinyl... at least for an amateur photographer like me! I did change mine a little from Erin's... instead of using plain color cardstock for the inside panels I used a different set of DSP... so I have two bags in one because the inserts of DSP are removeable and I can switch the the other design anytime I want. And you know... I'll be making more inserts when I get tired of these. It's going to make a great knitting tote because the sides don't fall in on each other and the yarn won't get tangled in the sides of the bag like my cloth ones. And yes, I did bring plenty of knitting projects to work on while here in Florida! And to give you an idea of how out of control my stash of stuff is... I only had to buy the vinyl to make this... already had the purse handles and everything!



We didn't have any canisters here in the furnished turn key condo. Guess that is a sign of youth of the past vicars... or their lack of time for cooking. Serioulsy, I haven't had to do much cooking since DH started his internship. We get invited out to eat a lot. The people in the church are so gracious! I found these canisters on sale at the neighborhood hardware store. They were too plain for me. They have clear glass lids so I didn't figure I needed to put the name of the contents on them. So, looked through my Decor Elements stash. (You knew I'd have one!) And decided the Upsy Daisy in Old Olive was perfect for the kitchen here. Really quick and easy. Yesterday, I went back to the store and purchased a second set of canisters because the clearance price was just too good to pass up and I needed something for my bread flours. So, I have Upsy Daisy in Taken with Teal in my stash to go on them. They will look so nice on the kitchen countertop! Just happen to be colors in the kitchen here. I love it when things fall into place. (And these canisters are staying with me when we leave Florida because I've got a pantry of plastic ice cream containers there!)




Here's a chipboad clipboard (say that 10 times!) I have had since we lived in Indianapolis. I thought I would use it in Chicago and never got around to decorating it. So, I pulled it out and got to work using some retired DSP and ribbon from my stash and scraps. These are the accent colors in the kitchen. The kitchen is basically all white with a few yellow tiles and I decided it needed some color. I found some placemats stashed away in the closet here that were floral with these colors; so took it from there. (And for those who know me... I don't have a single bee in the decor to date... taking a break... it will be so much fun to go back to my stuff in Chicago and see all my bees!)





DH found this basket minus the flowers in the closet here. He discovered it was the perfect size for 2 rolls of toilet paper. Great thinking. Only problem: it once was decorated with something and there was glue and lint-type remnants stuck to the top edge of it. No matter what I did it looked dirty. So, I covered it up! I made faux felt flowers. Mary Fish (stampinpretty.com) has a great tutorial. I just grabeed a punch of different punches and followed her lead for making the faux felt out of cardstock.




Another thing we didn't have in the condo was coasters for our drinks. So, off to the DIY store to purchase some tiles. This is from a very retired(!) set of stamps that I have. I thought it was the perfect image for Florida. I used Staz On ink. So quick and easy. I had the ink and also some felt stick on pads for the bottom of the tiles. I tell you... my stash is embarassing! Not really, it's nice to be using some of it though.
This is the wreath on our front door. I bought a plan grapevine wreath and then made some cardstock flowers and butterflies using my punches and Big Shot dies. The large daisy-like flowers are from Dawn Olchefske's website. Everything is mounted on a piece of scrap cardstock and then wired on the wreath so I can change it when the the Florida sun fades the colors or I tire of it. You know I'm going to change it long before the sun does it's work! I've got lots of ideas I want to use for holidays, etc. And you know Autumn doesn't come to Florida... well at least falling leaves don't... so I may have to have make my own!
Thanks for looking!







2 comments: